Monday, April 22, 2013

Random Routine: Ksenia Afanasyeva Floor Exercise Euros 2013 and Diana Bulimar Floor Exercise Euros 2013

love all these leotards so much
Look at me getting up two posts in two days! I wanted to interject my opinion on the floor exercise final without making a whole long recap post, so I'm just talking about two random routines today. For more, read on!







I've been a huge fan of Ksenia Afanasyeva's floor exercises ever since 2008. I don't know how she does it, but to me, she's the only gymnast who really 'dances'. The small hand movements and little leg flutters? I don't know, but her routines are always magical for me. This one is no exception. She's using the same music as in 2012, but changed some of the choreography. I really like the two new combination spins (attitude into double, and double L into Memmel turn) even if she did fall out of the later combination. I miss the cool little dance sequence she did last year after the second tumbling pass, and the little mini leap shuffle she did after the third pass, I think? Moreover, I think this routine shows the dangers of the 'don't stand in the corner' rule. Personally, I'd much rather see a few seconds of 'gameface' right before the tumble, rather than this wishy washy walking into a corner slowly. I actually didn't find the leap code whoring of the last quad to be that irritating, but I can see this new rule becoming my pet peeve. But otherwise, great routine. Love the high clean double pike!




And now to the second routine that I absolutely adored. Some say that Diana Bulimar should get some choreography that suits her, but I don't understand, because I think this choreography is great. She's like a fairy flitting all over the floor. But again, what is the point of stopping, twirling a bit, and then walking into the corner for your tumbling pass.  Ugh, I just can't deal. But her tumbling itself is great. From this angle you can't really even see the messiness of the full-in, nor the leg separation in the double layout. The stuck landings are really fantastic. And also, shallow once again, but she should get extra kudos for being Romanian and having a non obscene leotard cut. Who knew that was even possible? Plus her matching scrunchie is just too cute.

What about you? What were your favorite routines from the FX final?

No comments:

Post a Comment